No, I’m not proposing an alternative to the 12 step program. In fact, this is something completely different. I’m giving you 10 steps to becoming the next JK Rowling.
How is this possible? Well, it will be difficult, but I believe in you.
Here’s my official 10 step guide to becoming the next JK Rowling.
- Go to a train station. Preferably somewhere in Britain.
- Wait for your train and hope it’s delayed.
- Have a genius idea during said delay.
4. Write genius idea on a train napkin because you don’t have any paper.
5. Work on first novel while raising a child on welfare.
6. Get published after countless no’s.
7. Keep writing and get your books made into movies.
8. Become a millionare.
9. Donate so much money to charity that you’re no longer a millionare.
10. Live happily ever after.
Okay, so maybe it’s not that simple. But it can’t be that hard right? She may be one of the most successful women in the world, but, at some point, she was just like us. Struggling to get by, being rejected by publishers, raising a kid. We’ve all been there, right?
And even if you haven’t been there, you can still write a kick-butt series and get nice and rich (if that’s your goal). Even if you’ve never been on a train in Britain, or even on a train. Even if you’ve never raised a child. Even if you’ve never donated to charity in your life (I suggest you do). You can still be the next JK Rowling, but in your own way.